Monday, March 17, 2014

Frustrated

I'm a little frustrated at the moment. For many reasons actually. 

One of the things that has really been bothering me lately is that people constantly point to the fact that my kids are verbal, so therefore that should mean in their eyes, there is no way my children can have Autism. This truly annoys me on so very many levels. 

Some days I truly think it is harder being the parent of a verbal child with Autism than having a non-verbal one. No, I am not trying to debate who's life is harder, because in all honesty I can't even begin to imagine parenting a non-verbal child. I truly admire the women I know with non-verbal kiddos...they always amaze me.

When I state the above, I mean with regards to dealing with things like the school, some doctors (have thankfully learned not all of them believe all Autistic people are non-verbal), and others we deal with on a day in and day out basis with regards to learning and behavior.

You see, to me, there is a HUGE difference between being verbal and being able to communicate. HUGE. Now just to figure out how to get those who consistently deal with my children on a near daily basis to see that.

No comments:

Post a Comment